Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Xiamen


 

I went to Xiamen with my relative this winter vacation. Because my uncle lived in Xiamen, he showed us around as the guide. This is a kind of dessert named Wo wo tou. Though it’s very small, after you ate it, you would feel full. So it was seen as the main food in the northern China. It shaped like the tart, so some Chinese called it “golden tart”. On the top of it was Chinese red date. It was made of cornmeal, that’s why its color was yellow. It was said even Empress Dowager Cixi liked its taste. It tastes like a steamed bun, but the difference was that Wo wo tou tasted sweeter. Now the Wo wo tou is regarded as panda’s favorite dessert. The reason why pandas like Wo wo tou is that it makes them feel full easily, so people tend to feed them it instead of lots of  bamboos. It tastes very unique.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Alier! I think the 窩窩頭 looks cute! It looks like kind of a castle. Although I have never been to Xiamen, I believe that there are a lot of mysterious and special desserts which are made by traditional Chinese. I think the astonishing idea which is bring out by them is really fantastic! That's why people always say that the elders are wiser than the youngsters. If I have a chance to travel to Xiamen, I would be glad to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,Alier!That's cool you went to many countrys!
    It's so funny Pandas loves it,so I want to try it!I think the 窩窩頭 looks like that Japanese desserts "Hiyoko" .It's very delicious!
    I decided to I'm going to comeback to Japan in winter vacation,so I'll send to you Japanese snacks or desserts!Please looking forward to it!:}

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Alier. After reading your article, I think up my trip in Macao this summer vacation. Compared to Xiamen, Macao is little of Chinese culture. I think the reason is it had been colonized by Portugal for a long time. In Macao, the most famous dessert is the egg tart. It is delicious but it is depressed that it can’t have its own local food. Also, because Macao is bloomed by the gambling industry, which makes it emphasize the material life. However, if we want to shopping or enjoying luxury, it would be a very proper spot, especially for girls who like quality goods.

    ReplyDelete